The Black Panthers were destabilized within a few years of the de Young exhibition. The Nixon administration, with John Mitchell as attorney general, joined with J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI Counterintelligence Program (COINTELPRO) and local police to harass and attack the Panthers, forcing them into situations where they would either go into exile, to jail, or be killed.
Jeff Gunderson on The Black Panthers at the de Young Museum in Issue 5.1 —> http://bit.ly/15qWFjd
Image: Pirkle Jones. Black Panthers during drill, De Fremery Park Oakland, California, July 28, 1968, 1968.
10 Notes/ Hide
- croydonnitty likes this
- bambooski likes this
- bambooski reblogged this from dirtyasianbidness and added:
- allmyninjas likes this
- kmb-a likes this
- stonedfaceman reblogged this from dirtyasianbidness and added:
- purpro likes this
- dirtyasianbidness reblogged this from sheilastansbury
- sheilastansbury reblogged this from artpractical
- b0ss-n00b reblogged this from artpractical
- artpractical posted this